Finding an apartment in New York is no small task, even if you’ve lived here all your life. The brokers’ fees are high, the competition is fierce and decently-sized apartments at a fair price seem to be few and far between. Because of this, many new New Yorkers turn to Craig’s List.
The benefit of Craig’s List, especially if you’re moving to the city with very little, is that you can move into an already established apartment, often with people who are transplants themselves. If you find the right fit, you also have the opportunity to expand your social circle.
Navigating the world of Craig’s List is a lot like sorority rush. I would know – when searching for my New York apartment just seven months ago, I felt like I was reliving freshmen year rush all over again.
Much like sorority rush, you begin your search by submitting your registration form (Craig’s List post). Your registration form (Craig’s List post) allows the sororities (apartment owners) to get a basic sense of who you are. They screen you based on the initial information given, deciding whether they’re going to invite you to their rush party (interview).
Just because you got invited to the party (interview) doesn’t mean you’ve won the bid (apartment). Dressed in your best and armed with great conversation and the fakest smile you can muster, you go to the party (interview) and sell yourself like it’s your job. Because what really makes Craig’s List interviewing like sorority rush is that THEY’RE JUDGING YOU. Yep, watch what you say because one wrong step and you’re cut and out of the running.
Luckily for me, Mistletoe and Peaches invited me to join their sorority, er, apartment. They’ve been great roommates. I couldn’t be happier.
But Madison Lane, well, she’s decided she could be happier. After a Craig’s List interview in July, she moved into an apartment across the street from me. And though I assume she’s LOVED living so close to such a BFF like me, she’s had enough of the box she pays $950 a month for – a box, mind you, that doesn’t have a door. She’s had enough of her 20-something-girl roommate who steals her laundry detergent and refuses to clean up after herself. She’s had enough of her 30-something-boy roommate who is more drama than I was when I lived at the Alpha Chi house. So much so, she’s resorted to Craig’s List OPEN HOUSE INTERVIEWS. Now that’s a whole new ballgame.
To be continued . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You felt judged during sorority rush?! That's weird! I thought it was all about finding new sisters for life (!!!) but maybe, wait.. no, you're right. There's a lot of judging.
ReplyDelete